Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dude, wheres my car?

Everyone remembers their most special Valentines Day and who am I kidding....I am no different. But, as the holiday draws near (I'll share what my plans are at another time), I can help but think back over the Valentines Day's and get a nice little chuckle over my most memorable one.

It was 2007 and I was only in Jacksonville for a little over a year and half. Of course, I was single and had no plans of going out on Valentine's Day. That was, until Kirk called me. Kirk was a mere aquantience. He wasn't someone I was romantically interested in (although I couldn't tell you why) and we only talked maybe once every two weeks - the catching up kind. But, he called and mentioned he had no plans. So, we decided that we were going to get together (because, you know, it's better then staying home alone) and have a nice dinner and get some drinks.

I met him at his work (Jacksonville Suns Stadium) and he drove us to a Hibitchi grill in the Jacksonville Landing. I enjoyed dinner. I found myself thinking, "Well, maybe I should give this guy a shot."

After dinner we went to this bar downtown called Mark's. It was nice and quiet and the mood lighting was awesome. He grabbed us two drinks and we sat down on the plush furniture to talk. About five minutes into the conversation, he says, "Sorry if I keep staring over your shoulder. I have a crush on one of the bartenders." Okay, mistake number one. No matter who you are out with....if you are out on Valentine's Day, don't talk about another chick. Shes already in the downs about not actually having a real date.

I brushed it off. Big deal...he is a mere aquaintence, remember? After ten more mintues of conversation, he says, "Hey, I'll be right back." I watching him casually walk over to a group of girls. I couldn't believe this guy! And the bad thing is HE DROVE! I was stuck. Mintues passed by and I was being forgotten. I made two trips outside to call my friends. I had no clue where I was downtown.

I went back inside to sweep my ego off the floor. I sat for about ten minutes before I decided to walk myself right out onto the pavement and start heading in a direction I thought might get me to where I needed to go. After many failed attempts to call people who knew the city well, I finally got ahold of Kelli in my department at work. Giggling and feeling liberated, I explained my situation. She made me stay on the phone until I reached my car (a cell phone tower I made a turn at earlier in the night guided me in the right direction - not Kelli).

Oh yea, and the boy, Kirk, didn't call until I made it 3/4's of the way to my car. So much for Valentine's Day...a Valentine's Day I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment